Been a while since I posted.

To follow up the last post, here are the map playing rates for SOW since the random maps were added:

Random Map      66
DevilsDen       12
CulpsHill        7
McPherson        6
Gettysburg       3
PPT              1
EastCavalryField 1
Alpine           1

Beyond that, there’s currently little more I can do with Scourge of War, so I’ve moved on to working on other things.  I spent last week’s free time coding for a Mount & Blade mod.  Mount & Blade took a very good approach to letting their game support mods.  The bulk of the gameplay code is in external scripts and open for modding.  The scripts are “written in” python.  Actually, the scripts are written as lists of tuples in python, and python is used to process these into smaller files for the game engine to read.  It’s a somewhat cumbersome way to write code, but like any form of coding one can get used to it.  The advantage of having all of this separate from the compiled game code is that because so much can be changed, the game drew in lots of modders right from the early beta versions.  Now, years later, this modding community is massive.  Almost all of the multiplayer community plays mods.  It’s clear that the game has benefited enormously from this.

I had been modding Mount & Blade in 2008, up until I discovered what I could do with the American Conquest engine and started making HDN.  In 2008 I had written a bunch of gameplay balancing scripts and released them in a mod of my own.  This time around, I brought these scripts (and a bunch of new ones) into an existing “total conversion” mod someone else had made.  As I was doing this I came up with a simple scheme for adding a form of macros in the Mount & Blade python scripts.  This helped remove some of the drudgery from the coding and made it a bit more interesting.

I’m not sure what I’ll work on next.  Whatever it is it will have to wait for time to be available!

Leave a Reply